About Me

My photo
I am of Melanesian/Polynesian/Asian descent born in Lae, Papua New Guinea at ANGAU Memorial Hospital.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Visit Townsville, North Queensland, Australia in 2012

Last updated Saturday, 28 January 2012 in the process of adding photos and updated

Well I now finally get to catch up on this Blog once more and the beauty of it all is I got to travel a fair bit last year from Darwin to Brisbane to PNG to around parts of the Sunshine Coast to North Queensland.  Some by vehicle and Darwin to Brisbane return by air flying QANTAS and Virgin Blue.

The last time I was in Townsville was for three weeks only in 2009, visiting from Darwin.  Refer to my post in the Blog Had A Break From This Blog From September 2011 in there has 3 weblinks in regards to my Townsville visit during Christmas day, Boxing day and the New Year.  Otherwise you can also view  Posts in my first blog  Days Of My Life From Papua New Guinea To Australia 1968 - 2012.
The centre of the road is where the old Mc Donald's used to be as per the old website link

I have a special place in my heart for Townsville.  I posted there for eight months on my first full time service with the Australian Army.  Well thirteen years later Townsville has now had a face lift in 2011.  No more is the old Townsville Flinders Street Mall as I once knew it but hello Townsville Townsville Flinders Square.  Unfortunately I do not have photos of the old mall so I have inserted the link for you to see.  I did take photos of the new Townville Flinders Square.  I call it the "Facelift".

Need to insert photos here of Flinders Square...

The view from the left hand side

Here are some websites to check out  in regards to holidaying in Townsville

The Townsville Rotary Markets have three different markets they are in charge of in Townsville.  Click on the link above to find out where they are held with timings, etc.  On New Year's Day the Flinders Street Market was on but there did not seem to be a lot of stalls.  It could have been due to the fact that the Willows Rotary Market may have been on at the same time.



REEF HQ

 Back in 1993 I spent Easter holidays in Townsville with some close friends of mine, Daryl, Leeanee, Maggie, Don, Uba and I.  We visited what is now called Reef HQ I have since forgotten what the old name was.  This visit in 2011/2012 I did not go to check it out but they have given the building a paint touch up job too.  It is the world's largest coral reef aquarium.  Next to it is the 
 Musuem of Tropical Queensland which I did not visit this time. 

Need to insert photo to R

Sealink - Breakwater Terminal

You might want to travel to beautiful Magnetic Island and how you get there is from the Sunferries Breakwater Ferry Terminal.  The last time I visited Magnetic island was with four girlfriends of mine, Lorraine and Annie whom I have now known for 25 years, and a new friend Julie (now deceased.) Apparently Maggie island (the other name it is also known as) has really been vamped up.  Now that I am staying in Cairns for some time I will have a chance to go down there for a long weekend, or to get away from Cairns from time to time.

The ferry about to dock at Sealink







Disclaimer:  I accept no responsibility or liability of any loss to any incorrect or out dated information some of these websites may contain.  The most accurate up to date information at the time known to me is inserted in these pages.  It is the responsibility of the individual to do their own research in their own time.  This is just a guide to assist people in giving them as much information as I possibly can to assist them in preparing for a trip to North Queensland,Australia or wanting to learn about North Queensland.  My views and opinions and experiences will not exactly reflect other peoples' views and opinions and experiences.

This material is copyright © Wendy J. Seymour 2012 - Exempt the hyperlinks they are from the World Wide Web (WWW)

2 comments:

  1. Interesting blog post.I really like your post and enjoyed a lot.keep sharing your travel experience with us.I am very excited to read your upcoming blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Australia is a beautiful country for travelling. Boat Cruises Melbourne

    ReplyDelete